A pioneering vision to train nuns to become among the most accomplished Buddhist practitioners and Dharma teachers in the world.
We envision a world where the nuns are highly accomplished dharma practitioners and teachers motivating others to foster a kinder and more compassionate world.
Tsoknyi Rinpoche's Vision
“I am investing a lot of my own time, energy and resources supporting these nuns, because I see great value in their way of life and what they represent in the modern world. They are a cultural and spiritual treasure, and I hope you will join me in preserving their heritage. It is my vision that these nuns will continue to flourish in the future. As a source of inspiration to women and men all over the world, their inner qualities will radiate loving-kindness everywhere.”
Tsoknyi Humanitarian Foundation’s mission is to make it possible for nuns in Nepal who practice in the Tsoknyi lineage to live in a safe, healthy environment in order to study and practice the highest Buddhist meditation and philosophy. This organization supports Tsoknyi Rinpoche’s aspiration that these nuns will become accomplished teachers and that they will inspire people from all over the world.
- UNITE the power of authentic buddhist practice with the benefits of a contemporary education for the nuns of Tsoknyi Rinpoche.
- SECURE the nuns’ physical and financial well-being
- SUSTAIN their nunneries as centers of cultural preservation and spiritual excellence
- INSPIRE an international community of dedicated supporters, donors, and volunteers
- Maintain safe, healthy facilities for the education of Himalayan girls and for the higher education and spiritual training of the Tsoknyi Nuns.
- Sustain the financial well-being of the nuns & maintain the gompas (nunneries) as centers of cultural preservation and
spiritual excellence in perpetuity through the Tsoknyi Nuns Endowment Fund.
- Unite the authentic spiritual lineages of the Tibetan tradition with the benefits of contemporary education in the arts, science, and technology,
- Inspire a growing community of global stakeholders and be regarded and esteemed by other Dharma organizations as a reliable source of information.
- Create opportunities for the nuns to engage with and teach to a worldwide audience.
- Uphold THF to the highest professional standards.
Tsoknyi Rinpoche, Chairman
Owsley Brown, President
Jean Chang, Vice-President
Julie Green, Treasurer
Michael Kunkel, Secretary
Babo Harrison, Member at Large
Esteban Hollander, Member at Large
Marjorie Wilcox, Bookkeeper – Tsoknyi Humanitarian Foundation (US)
Laura Hofer, Volunteer Coordinator- Tsoknyi Humanitarian Foundation (US)
Ms. Paden Choedon, Secretary, and Visitor Coordinator – Tsoknyi Nuns Welfare Foundation (Nepal)
Reshma Shrestha, Accountant – Tsoknyi Nuns Welfare Foundation (Nepal)
The Tsoknyi Humanitarian Foundation was established in 2004 under the guidance of Tsoknyi Rinpoche as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization to support Tsoknyi Rinpoche’s humanitarian projects. All donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
The Tsoknyi Humanitarian Foundation began doing business as the Tsoknyi Nepal Nuns in 2011, to benefit Tsoknyi Rinpoche’s nuns in Nepal. In 2019, the THF began doing business as the Tsoknyi Lineage Nuns. Proceeds from the TLN flow to the Nepal NGO, The Tsoknyi Nuns Welfare Foundation.