From at least the 12th century, Tibetan nunneries assumed a key role in preserving the dharma in Tibet. Prior to 1949, there were at least 818 nunneries and approximately 28,000 nuns. In the years that followed, nunneries were destroyed and some nuns imprisoned, forced into labor camps and tortured. The
Schools and education are the foundation of TLN’s efforts to cultivate opportunities for higher training, leadership, and service among women in the Himalaya. Tsoknyi Gechak School, outside of Kathmandu, was one of Tsoknyi Rinpoche’s earliest and most important projects to support the education and early development of young women.
Tsoknyi Gechak School is the primary and lower secondary school for the school-aged nuns at Tsoknyi Gechak Ling. Tsoknyi Gechak School combines the power of modern education and Buddhist spiritual training to cultivate students’ basic goodness and potential for compassion and wisdom. At TGS students follow the full Nepali government
Until 1949, the region of Nangchen, where the great majority of the Tsoknyi nunneries are located, was an independent kingdom in Eastern Tibet, with its own language and its own government. It is now a county in the Qinghai province of China. Nangchen is so remote that before 1949, it
Tsoknyi Gechak Ling is the only nunnery practicing the Tsoknyi tradition outside of Tibet. The ancient hilltop village of Chobhar, outside of Kathmandu, is renowned for the centuries-old temple of the Chobhar Adhinath, also known as Anandadi Lokeshvara, one of the Kathmandu Valley’s four main temples of Avalokiteshvara. Situated quite
Tsoknyi Gargon Ling is located high in the Himalayas at the sacred pilgrimage site of Muktinath, known to the Tibetans as Chumig Gyatsa, the place of a hundred springs. Both Buddhists and Hindus come to bathe in the holy water there. Sacred to the worship of Lord Vishnu, Muktinath is
Tsoknyi Rinpoche’s aspiration for these young girls and women is to eventually become teachers just like him!